Dear Farm Friends,
Alemany Farm is hiring a part time Assistant Farm Manager and Youth Development Program Lead.
Learn about the position below. Please feel free to share with your networks, or apply yourself if you think you are a good fit!
Alemany Farm Assistant Manager and Youth Development Program Lead
Position: part-time, non-exempt
About Friends of Alemany Farm
Friends of Alemany Farm manage the horticulture, volunteer, and educational programs at Alemany Farm, a 3.5 acre organic farm ecosystem in southeast San Francisco. Our mission is to grow food security and educate local residents about how they can become their own food producers. Together with hundreds of volunteers we grow more than 24,000 pounds of organic fruits and vegetables annually, all of which is given away for free. It is the largest food production space in San Francisco.
Job Description and Responsibilities
Assisted by the existing Farm Manager and the volunteer co-managers of the Friends of Alemany Farm, the assistant farm manager and youth development program lead will:
Approximately 50-60% of time:
- Take part in organizing, preparing for, and running at least three work sessions per week. Each session includes assisting in the management of farm interns and volunteer groups of 8-35 people.
- Assist in weekly and seasonal farm planning, horticultural decisions, farm maintenance, irrigation, and annual crop planning
- Participate in supervision and implementation of planting, crop maintenance, fertilizing & pest control, harvesting, post harvest handling, greenhouse work, irrigation, and infrastructure maintenance
- Participate in clear documentation of each work session and harvest quantity
Approximately 35-50% of time:
- Oversee the continual development and implementation of a part-time job training program targeted at teens and young adults living in the adjacent Alemany community, building on an existing program & relationships.
- Create a safe learning and professional environment for program participants.
- Develop and teach relevant curriculum, expectation requirements, scheduling, and accountability structures for successful job training program at Alemany Farm. The youth program both has some dedicated hours, and some program hours overlapping with work session duties.
Approximately 5-10% of time:
- Liaise with other groups active on site, and with SF Rec & Parks Dept.
- Assist with social media activity
- Participate in monthly evening meetings of the Friends group.
Required Skills and Experience
- At least 2 years’ experience in small-scale organic food production or urban gardening; including but not limited to: crop planning, crop maintenance, composting, greenhouse management, and irrigation.
- At least 2 years of facilitation or teaching experience with teens or youth, specifically in an outdoor setting
- Experience managing groups of 8-20 people, preferably in an outdoor or farm setting.
- Demonstrated ability and/or experience working in communities with high risk of stress and trauma.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to work with community members from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Knowledge about and commitment to social and racial justice, particularly issues around resource equity in San Francisco’s communities.
- Ability to act as a role model and demonstrate appropriate work ethic and behavior.
- Capable of working in a fast-paced outdoor environment.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds from floor to table height.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong skills in interpersonal communication, collaboration, and emotional intelligence.
- Self motivated, demonstrating ability take initiative.
- Strong time management skills, attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability to work independently, be flexible, and think creatively
- Value and ability to work and think collaboratively.
- Bilingual and/or bi-cultural preferred (desired languages include Spanish and Cantonese)
- Computer and project management skills a plus
Compensation: $22-25/hr DOE
Hours: 18-26 hrs/week
Please send cover letter and resume (as one .pdf file) to Abby Bell, Alemany Farm Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in the subject line, “Assistant Farm Manager Position”. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Position is open until filled.
The Friends of Alemany Farm is a project of the San Francisco Parks Alliance.
Friends of Alemany Farm is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.