Contribute to our 15th Anniversary Campaign
As Friends of Alemany Farm (FOAF) marks 15 years at the Farm, we have set a goal of raising $75,000 by Earth Day 2021. Join us in honoring what the farm community has accomplished together over the years, and what’s possible in the coming years as we build capacity and expand our local networks to have even greater impact. Read on for more info about how and why to support us, and enjoy our image gallery reflecting on farm life since 2005.
Friends of Alemany Farm is fiscally sponsored by the San Francisco Parks Alliance, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Prefer to donate by check?
Make your check payable to the San Francisco Parks Alliance (with FOAF in the memo line) and send to:
Friends of Alemany Farm, 1047 Bush St. #10, San Francisco, CA 94109.
Your Gift Supports:
- Growing, harvesting, and distributing fresh produce for free in SF year-round.
- Our internship program and new paid apprenticeship for underserved BIPOC youth.
- Low-to-no-cost workshops for the public on a range of accessible topics.
- Community workdays and farm visits open to all, regardless of experience. (We hope to welcome drop-in volunteers back to the farm in 2021.)
- Local, grassroots action and resilience.
- A productive and nourishing public green space and habitat that is a refuge for creatures of many species. It can’t happen without dedicated staff, volunteers, and donors!
Your gift in any amount to our general operating fund helps make all of the above possible.
Ways to Give:
- Make a one-time gift
- Set up a monthly recurring donation to sow seeds of support year-round.
- Give in honor or in memory of someone; elect to send a notification if you like.
- Birthday campaign: Inspire your friends and family to honor your birthday with a gift to FOAF.
- Turn a sizeable gift into a challenge grant to help incentivize other donors. Contact us.
- Don’t forget MATCHING GIFTS: Does your employer match gifts? If so, you could double your generosity. Some employers also match volunteer hours.
Our recent SeedMoney campaign was a success! Thanks to 58 generous donors, we raised $5,795 between Nov 15 and Dec 15 specifically to support our new paid Urban Farming Apprenticeship program for local youth of color. This support helped us garner a generous $1K match from Orowheat as well.
2020 Quick Facts:
Bumper Crops: 25,000 pounds of fresh local fruits and vegetables produced in 2020, despite reduced staffing and pandemic restrictions.
Free Food: 100% of produce donated to approximately 7,500 San Franciscans annually. We truly performed an essential service and filled basic needs this year.
Community Hub: Even with pandemic restrictions, we logged over 7,000 volunteer hours in 2020, thanks to our interns and to significant remote work by our core volunteer team. We can’t wait to welcome the larger community back to volunteer, but our “skeleton crew” has been busy, on-site and in cyberspace, throughout the pandemic.
Rooted in Local Partnerships: We organize our efforts around a growing network of mutually-beneficial partnerships with aligned organizations, including: SF Recreation & Parks Department, Free Farm Stand, TwoEightyProject, Feed the People Collective, Alemany Apartments Resident Council, PODER, Hummingbird Farm, Urban Sprouts, Bernal Heights Neighborhood Center, BRIDGE Housing, SF State University, Alemany HeadStart, and more.
Youth Job Training and Leadership: We hosted 21 interns and 2 paid apprentices in a safe, COVID-compliant iteration of our program in 2020. They acquired transferable farm job skills with an emphasis on organic, community-based, regenerative agricultural practices. We are proud to participate in the empowerment of local youth, the greening of our city, the fortification of a local food network, and growing the next generation of BIPOC farmers in San Francisco.
Eco-Literacy and Garden Education: We got Zoom-literate in 2020 and offered 5 virtual workshops for close to 400 participants from near and far. Our workshops are always accessible in content and cost, with no one turned away for lack of funds.
Environmental Stewardship: Friends of Alemany practices and teaches methods in regenerative agriculture in direct response to climate crisis: we model simple, practical, local, and replicable solutions to global warming. Including: no-till gardening; composting; winter cover crops; water-wise irrigation, and more.
Nutritional Justice: We aim to help eliminate food insecurity in SF by growing free food with and for marginalized communities. With your support, we’ll continue to sow the seeds of economic, social, and food justice for all.
15th Anniversary Image Garden
To observe Friends of Alemany Farm’s 15 years at the Farm, we’re offering this image garden to help document life at the farm on all scales over the years: major milestones, key programs, small details, special friends, and more. Our image garden will grow over the comings months, so come back and revisit. CLICK ON AN IMAGE TO OPEN IT and learn more about FOAF and Alemany Farm.